Sunday 17 July 2011

Munchin' in München

A very cool "map of Munich" for the blind - allowing them to
experience the city in 3D
Following the very 'business-like' city of Frankfurt, I moved on to the hustle and bustle of Munich. Once again I found myself in a hotel smack bang in the middle of the red light district - but the location really was convenient (for touring, not prostitution!)

Munich's maypole
Definitely a more exciting and lively city, Munich has a lot of character, is a great city to walk around, and has plenty of things to keep one entertained. My first day was really a 'walking and exploring' day, though prior to this, I got my first pleasant surprise....

Despite the concept of the EU, commodities and services can vary so significantly in price within the zone. My gold chain required a new clip - a tiny pice of 14 carat gold. In Denmark, this was going to cost DKK 650 (~EUR 85). The chain itself probably cost slightly less than that around 10 years ago. The argument presented to me by the jeweller was the increase in the price of gold over that period. The same component in Munich, EUR 25. Holy cow! So, there I was, off to a good start already with EUR 60 in my pocket...




Next I arrived in Marienplatz, where the gold plated status of St Mary stands (along with tends of thousands of toursts). I was greeted by a small brass band playing Bohemian Rhapsody. The day was getting better and better by the minute!


Anyway, I joined one of the free walking tours of the city, and although being a great tour, was massively overcrowded. But perhaps that's just Munich in July in general. We took in all the major sights, including the slightly overrated Glockenspiel (carillion), Frauenkirche (presided over, back in the day, by the gentleman who now sits in The Vatican), the markets, the plaza outside the Hofbräuhaus, and some historical points in the city where Hitler walked, talked, and ran away from police like a coward when he found himself cornered during a march he held, leaving his supporters behind.
Munich has a lot of history, and some of it is rather fascinating. My favourite tidbit was to do with the invasion a foreign invasion a few centuries ago. The invading army held the city to ransom, and since the townfolk couldn't raise neough money, they managed to pay off the invaders with barrels of beer! Fantastic! Beer came to the rescue a second time when the Opera House was on fire and the fire suppression system didn't work (because all water that had collected in the 'upside down' dome had frozen solid), yet they were able to bring beer over from the Hofbräuhaus and use that to extinguish the flames. Who thought beer was so versatile?!?
The old city walls of Munich
 Naturally, I had to find out more, so I embarked on a beer tour of the city that night. It less educational in that sense, and more about seeing hundreds (if not thousands) of Germans sitting around beer gardens and beer halls having a litre or two to drink (when the drinks are served in litre glasses, that's the form of measurement required!). Had a really fun night, full of yummy German beer an curried wurst.

Beautiful scenes in the Enhglischer Garten
Sunday was a lazy day as I was departing mid-afternoon. I found myself strolling through (and snoozing in) the Enhglischer Garten. What a beautiful park. The only downside is that the locals have a thing about being naked in this park. There were way too many bare bums and other bits for such a crowded park. However, on the upside, I found my way to the Chinese Tower beer garden where a brass band was playing some classics. And like I saw all over the city, there were plenty of couples dressed up in their traditional lederhosen and dirndls. Something which I initially thought was reserved for special occassions, but after a while I decided it's kind of cool how many people dress like this when they go to their local beer garden.
I have no idea what building this is - but it looks cool

No comments:

Post a Comment