Monday 8 November 2010

A Handy Update

I've had enough of this broken hand saga. There is no novelty in it, no fun at all. As of today I have started serious physiotherapy, aka torture. It turns out that most of the pains I am experiencing are as a result of not moving the joints for so long, rather than the fracture (general pain versus sharp pain at the scaphoid) and therefore I need to push things to the limit. Well, it's bloody tiring!

Using my arm muscles I can bend my wrist forward around 30', and backwards around 40'. Add a few degrees if I push using the other hand. It's very frustrating when your body doesn't do the simple movements it has known its whole life and you experience pain when you try to do such basic things. On the other hand, when I look at my left hand it still looks rather awkward (I try to capture it in a photo but it just doesn't come out). Unlike my right hand which is effectively 'flat' on the top-side between the wrist and my knuckles, my left hand is concave. The effect of this is when I do bend the wrist, the curve is entirely at the wrist and then flat between the wrist and the knuckles (as opposed to the right hand where the curve stretches a lot further towards the knuckles). It looks rather weird actually and makes me wonder whether my hand will ever return to normal. The physio assures me though that normal rehab time is 6-8 weeks. Can't wait.

On an unrelated note, winter is finally kicking in here. With temperatures around freezing point and some crazy strong winds, it's time to start wearing my beannie on my walk to work! Also, I have done a bit of touring in Copenhagen and surrounds and will put some photos up soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment