Tuesday 16 November 2010

I'm not naked, yet I'm the odd one out!

In my short time in Denmark I had heard from a few people stories about the Danes' openness when it comes to nudity, but it wasn't until recently that it hit me in the face.

After discovering a public swimming pool around the corner from my apartment, and realising it would be a long time before I would be able to swim outdoors, I figured it was better than nothing (plus it might be good physical therapy for my hand). So off I went. However, I wasn't quite prepared when I walked into the men's change room. The way the Danes behave made me realise how prudish we (Australians and other similar countries) are. It's not like a change room I'm used to where people just get changed - everyone (and I mean everyone) walks around totally stark naked! The showers are all open (think of a scene from a prison movie) and people don't think twice about walking around totally nude. You are encouraged to have a proper shower before you put your swimmers on, and then people do the same after going for a swim.

So boy do I feel the odd one out walking around with swimmers on...


On a side note...
An interesting channel on TV here, channel 11 on my TV is some kind of kid's channel, but they have a novel idea: when kids are supposed to be sleeping, they simply show someone sleeping on TV. Yup, hours and hours of watching someone toss and turn, snore a bit, etc.

1 comment:

  1. hmmm...sounds like Id fit right in there then :)

    ReplyDelete